It's summer. It's hot. If you feel overwhelmed or stuck, it may seem like there's nowhere to turn. Your House of Worship may have shifted to lighter hours and offer fewer activities. Family and friends have that annoying way of departing on exotic, expensive vacations. But remember, in the heat, many things expand and so can you. Tune into yourself as a living organism, absorbing the rain and sun. And tune into your senses, completely enjoy yourself in the process.
This is a time of re-newal, refreshment, and revival.
Here are a few tip's to help you have a more spiritually satisfying summer.
1. As you wake, focus on the first few breaths you take, remind yourself you are breathing in the breath of God, the breath of life. Share a moment of thanksgiving with God. Each day is His gift to you, because He loves you with a never-ending love.
2. As you wash or shower, let the drops of mercy and forgiveness wash over you. Receive it in your heart and know you are a precious child of God. He delights in you and sees you as His own. Allow that love to saturate your senses.
3. As you dress, let your clothing be your robes of righteousness. These robes are God's arms of love wrapped around you. He will hold you close in all you do every day because He loves you more than you may ever come to understand.
4. As you walk out into the world, remember you are equipped with the armor of God. Whatever He has put in your path you will be prepared to handle, you have His protection around you. You can walk in faith throughout your day.
5. Whenever you break bread, give thanks and praise for all the delicacies we have been given. God has provided us with flavors, colors, textures and shapes. Invite God to be with you throughout the meal. Share your thoughts with Him. He listens.
6. Take every opportunity to gaze upon all the wonders of this earth. Leaves that flutter in the breeze, birds that soar from tree to tree, water that flows and trickles. Enjoy all the beautiful things that God created for our pleasure.
7. Most importantly, close your eyes to this world and open the eyes of your heart. Can you see it? The love He has placed in your heart? It is there for you to share with those around you. Anyone can be salt and light to this world by just smiling and pouring out all that God has poured into you.
I pray grace and peace be the sandals you wear this summer.